Last week I told you I would be taking a writing break and would be introducing you to some of my favorite ministries. Ministries birthed out of someone simply seeing a need and saying “Yes” to where the Lord led them.
I encourage you to read their stories and visit their websites to learn more. I pray you will be encouraged – and maybe you will be nudged to say “Yes!” to that big thing the Lord is prompting you to do or support those who already have.
I have had the opportunity to see this week’s highlighted ministry from afar and up close. I know the people who work behind the scenes to make the home successful. And I’ve met the moms who love their babies and want to give them a good life.
Five years ago, I was curious when posts announcing a banquet for a maternity home started to flood my social media feed so I went to the dinner – alone. As I sat and listened to the speakers talk about how they were challenged by a question from a former Planned Parenthood employee when our local facility was closed, “What are you going to do for these pregnant women now?” The answer was to start a maternity home.
Someone said, “Yes.”
From The Elizabeth House Maternity Home website:
The Elizabeth House Maternity Home in Bryan/College Station Texas provides expectant mothers and their children a safe, enriching and loving home. We are more than just a shelter. Our mothers receive emotional, physical, psychological and spiritual support so that they have the tools they need to move forward toward a better life for themselves and their children. We also support women who choose to place their child in a loving adoptive home. Women can live free of charge at The Elizabeth House Maternity Home through pregnancy and up to six months following the birth of their baby. They may bring up to two additional children, under the age of 6, with them into the home. We pray that each mother who leaves The Elizabeth House has the life skills necessary to be a contributing member of the community.
What the house offers ~
- We commit to:
Provide a safe, stable and supportive place for residents and up to two children to live while dealing with unexpected pregnancy.
- Provide free housing throughout pregnancy and continue for up to 6 months after delivery.
- Assist residents to meet basic needs, such as clothing, baby items, transportation, medical care, long-term housing, job and educational opportunities.
- Provide residents access and transportation to health services
- Partner with other community nonprofits and government organizations to provide for residents’ needs and well-being.
- Residents will receive:
Education in planning their own meals, maintaining a home, and basic childcare skills.
- Counseling, childbirth, breast-feeding, child-care and parenthood classes while in residence, adoption information and financial planning.
- Assistance in navigating the local housing market and securing future housing.
- Support in obtaining their GED, as well as, earning college credits.
- Mentoring and tutoring services.
If you want to know more about the Elizabeth House Maternity Home and are near the Brazos Valley area, please consider attending the Fiesta Banquet. It’s free! Check out the details here.
And check out their website here.