(If you were here the past two weeks, skip a few paragraphs to those squiggly lines and meet my friend. Otherwise, read on.)
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens. Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens. I grew up singing those words along with Julie Andrews but now I have my own list of favorite things.
To those who read my words and follow my blog, I’m going to do something different and new. The next few weeks, are going to be hectic for me and I am going to be working on some new writing projects so I’m going to step away from blogging for a few weeks. During my time away, I’m going to share a few of my favorite things with you – a writer, a podcaster, a ministry leader, a fitness coach and a few ministries I participate in and love.
I will be sharing my favorite people behind my favorite things because I think you’ll love them as much as I do. These are people I actually know. Some have been in my home and some haven’t – yet. But I do life with them. The convenience of technology allows us to cook together, unload the dishwasher, iron, coif our hair, drive and drink coffee – among other mundane things.
So, grab a mug of java or your favorite tea, get comfy and join me as I share with you the women I laugh with – and at times, cry with, sweat with and serve with.
It is my honor to introduce you to one of my favorite ministries – The Elizabeth House Maternity Home. When our local Planned Parenthood facility was shut down, a group of women who had a heart for the plight of the pregnant moms put their words into action and opened the only maternity home in my town and within 100 miles of another one. The home offers hope and a future for both the moms and the children and has served over 250 women over the past 6 years.
This isn’t just a ministry I have heard about. No, this is a ministry I have volunteered for and I have served on the Board of Directors. I have seen the heart and soul behind the ministry and within the ministry. And let me tell you, the souls involved love Jesus and love people.
The Elizabeth House Maternity Home in Bryan / College Station, Texas provides expectant mothers and their children a safe, enriching and loving home. We are more than just a shelter. Our mothers receive emotional, physical, psychological and spiritual support so that they have the tools they need to move forward toward a better life for themselves and their children.
We also support women who choose to place their child in a loving adoptive home. Women can live free of charge at The Elizabeth House Maternity Home through pregnancy and up to six months following the birth of their baby. They may bring up to two additional children, under the age of 6, with them into the home.
We pray that each mother who leaves The Elizabeth House has the life skills necessary to be a contributing member of the community.
The Elizabeth House Maternity Home commits to:
- Provide a safe, stable and supportive place for residents and up to two children to live while dealing with unexpected pregnancy.
- Provide free housing throughout pregnancy and continue for up to 6 months after delivery.
- Assist residents to meet basic needs, such as clothing, baby items, long-term housing, job and educational opportunities.
- Provide residents access to health services
- Partner with other community nonprofits and government organizations to provide for residents’ needs and well-being.
- Education in planning their own meals, maintaining a home, and basic child care skills.
- Counseling, childbirth, child-care and parenthood classes while in residence, adoption information and financial planning.
- Assistance in navigating the local housing market and securing future housing.
- Support in obtaining their GED as well as earning college credits.
- Mentoring and tutoring services.
Check out the website HERE
Want to volunteer? HERE is the place to go.
Would you like to donate to the mission and vision of the Home? Do that HERE
Pregnant and need a safe place to live? Please contact the House HERE